Monday, December 30, 2013

Motorhead "Aftershock" LP UDR


Motörhead

"Aftershock"
UDR
Released: October 22, 2013

I opened the gatefold sleeve of the 2013 offering from Motorhead as if I were a 5 year old child on Christmas morning rather than a 47 year old man on October 22, 2013. I carefully separated the black sticker from the shrink wrap around the LP. The sticker, boldly stating that what I held in my hands was "14 new tracks of crunchy, greasy, punky, bluesy, gutsy rock'n'roll" was as important to the experience as the first drop of the needle on the vinyl. I took in the art, the photos, the lyrics, the weight of the vinyl, the smell. A new plastic sleeve ready to encase this masterful work of art. I suppose I took the same complete sensory examination of the entire "Aftershock" LP just as a wine taster would examine and enjoy a vintage wine.  A sommelier is a trained and knowledgeable wine professional, who specializes in all aspects of wine service as well as wine and food pairing. I suppose I could be classified as a sommelier of records at this stage of the game. 


Why should the purchase of yet another LP instigate such a response? You see, Lemmy is God. 


I have been a fan of Motorhead since the first time I heard "Ace of Spades" in 1980. 

I love the imagery.



Lemmy worked with Wendy of the Plasmatics. You really have no idea how much I loved Wendy O.



Motorhead worked with Girlschool. 



I got to see Motorhead with Overkill and Slayer on the World Sacrifice tour at Stabler Arena in Bethlehem PA on October 31, 1988.



I had the privilege to write about Motorhead in the Morning Call newspaper in 1992. I got to expand on that in my own fanzine FOE (Freedom of Expression) when I interviewed Wurzel. 

Lemmy Pokemon Card

I got to name my son after Lemmy (my sensible wife convinced me that naming our son "Lemmy" was out of the question, so I then offered "Ian" - Lemmy's real name, and therefore my son IS named after Lemmy).



Lemmy also drinks a bottle of whiskey every day. I tried this for awhile, but I had to stop 22 years ago, because, well, I am not Lemmy. Lemmy is the exception to the rule. 



 So. Yeah, even after all these years, after all this music, after twenty other studio albums (I am pretty sure "Aftershock" is the 21st studio LP), I will tell you that if you buy one album in 2013, you should buy this album. Yes. All 14 tracks of crunchy, greasy, punky, bluesy, gutsy rock'n'roll are instant classics. Completely solid release.



Thank you Lemmy and Motorhead.



MOTÖRHEAD - "Heartbreaker" - Official Video


Cheers,
Frank FOE






No comments:

Post a Comment