Saturday, March 15, 2014

Offenders "We Must Rebel - I Hate Myself - Endless Struggle" Southern Lord

We Must Rebel/I Hate Myself/Endless Struggle
Released: March 18, 2014

Here is the deal. The Offenders were a Texas hardcore band that started out in the late 70s. The Offenders were the only band that sounded like this. They are the only band that sounds like this. A true original hardcore band. Southern Lord has issued this discography of "We Must Rebel", "I Hate Myself" and "Endless Struggle" in one double LP package. That Southern Lord is making this available is a majestic, honorable act that I appreciate and praise. I hope that a new generation of hardcore, punk and metal fans can experience this band and enjoy the Offenders as much as I do.


To help you understand how much I love the Offenders, I will let you know I already have two different versions of "We Must Rebel" (Reflex and Bitzcore) and "Endless Struggle" (Rabid Cat and Bonecrusher) on vinyl. Not sure what the values of these records are or whether they are legit or boots or originals, I just know I love the Offenders and tend to buy anything by them just because it is different than what I already own... record nerd that I am... Also the Grand Theft Audio CD "Died In Custody" has a 1983 demo and some other material that the fan I am, treasure.


I think a lot of hardcore fans got into the band through the MANDATORY 1984 "P.E.A.C.E." compilation 2xLP on R Radical Records. "Face Down In The Dirt" from that compilation and the "Endless Struggle" lp is a true classic to this day. 


I got to see the Offenders in Catasauqua PA in the early to mid 1980s. There was some issue going on with the singer not being present at the gig. The Offenders still raged performing instrumentals. 


Two of the original Offenders have passed away in recent years. Guitarist Tony "Offender" Johnson passed away peacefully on Saturday May 12, 2012 at the age of 54 after a 20-month struggle with lung cancer. Bassist Mikey Offender (also played in MDC and Sister Double Happiness) passed away in 2007. He died in his sleep from unknown causes in a Barcelona squat in 2007.


Surviving members, drummer Pat Doyle and vocalist JJ Jacobson. In honor of the band’s legacy, Doyle and Jacobson have recruited Jeff Martin (Buzzcrusher) on guitar and Craig Merritt (World Burns to Death) on bass, and have already booked a March performance celebrating re-release of their works.


I implore you to seek out Offenders "We Must Rebel/I Hate Myself/Endless Struggle" on Southern Lord and anyplace else you can find these songs.

Offenders Bandcamp
Offenders FB

Cheers,
Frank FOE

2 comments:

  1. You're damn right, my friend! The Offenders were so ahead of their time! Their genius outshines most bands, up to and including any band out there today! I was co owner of Rabid Cat Records, and will forever be proud to have my name on both ENDLESS STRUGGLE and the first single of I HATE MYSELF. Tony Offender was also the father of my two children. We are all so happy to see what you are doing! The record release at END OF AN EAR records was well attended and the vinyl that was available sold out immediately. The re-formed Offenders carry the legacy of Tony and Mikey with pride, and they sounded AMAZING! Thank you for being awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Laura! Rabid Cat was a huge supporter of FOE zine back in the day.

    http://www.foe.firstpress.net/CA/FOE%20Cover%20Artwork.htm

    I dug up FOE #4, from 1985. In that issue I listed the upcoming Offenders and Frightwig show at the CattyShack, July 22, 1985.

    All the best to you and your family. Thank you for being awesome!

    ReplyDelete